[Avodah] Tzeni'us and gender roles

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 10 12:52:21 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 03:12:54PM -0400, Joseph Kaplan wrote:
: RMB's analysis of tzni'ut is very interesting but I believe it has
: absolutely nothing to do with the real world.  Sure, men have the
: same obligation of tzni'ut that women have, but men are "forced" to
: participate publicly because someone has to daven for the amud etc.

Again (although I think RJK submitted this before seeing my recent post),
I think you're conflating the real with the ideal.

The fact is that in the way our society is structured, men are encouraged
to ignore tzeni'us in our pursuit of other goals. That doesn't change
the ideal, that tzeni'us is a central element in imitatio dei. However,
it reflects a compromise we already made.

The question before us now is whether the right decision is to further
compromise the value of tzeni'us, or to resist an innovation that would
nearly entirely eliminate it from our daily lives. There would be no
reminder that service of G-d is supposed to be from a position of "besokh
ami anokhi yosheves" and that being seated on the duchan is supposed
to be a source of embarassment, that the quiet service of the Almighty
outside the shul is more fundamental than being a functionary within it.

IOW, yes you're right, what I said has nothing to do with the real
world. It's about the future world and do we want it to be further from
the role of tzeni'us in the ideal world than we are already, or not?