[Avodah] Is Body Paint Halakhically Clothing?

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Jul 10 12:03:40 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 06:16:00AM -0700, Harry Maryles wrote:
: It would seem to me to depend on the actual visuals and not the intent
: of causing hirhurim assurim.

: For one thing I don't even think the intent was meant to provoke
: erotic thoughts. It was meant as a gimmick to spur attention to an
: important message.

And why does it spur attention? Because of the concept of them really
being nude. I think your distinction fails -- it's a hirhurim based
gimick.

My point wasn't that the issur of arvah is or isn't violated. I left
that question open. Rather, I feel there is no nafqa mina, since the
whole thing is a gimick to attract attention based on our hormonal

: I do not believe that is enough to Assur seeing it, especially if the
: message is important.

I also raised the piquach nefesh issue -- if one really needs the
reminder and won't be so distracted by the gimick as to forget the
content.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             When you come to a place of darkness,
micha at aishdas.org        you don't chase out the darkness with a broom.
http://www.aishdas.org   You light a candle.
Fax: (270) 514-1507        - R' Yekusiel Halberstam of Klausenberg zt"l