[Avodah] Is Body Paint Halakhically Clothing?

Harry Maryles hmaryles at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 10 06:16:00 PDT 2009

--- On Thu, 7/9/09, T613K at aol.com <T613K at aol.com> wrote:

Right after I wrote that a picture of a person in body paint is OK but the actual person would not be, I read RMB's post:

>>The only reason why the video is of interest is that it taps into
prurient thoughts. Intentionally causing these kinds of hirhurim is
assur, regardless of whether deft camera placement avoids actually
showing ervah. <<

I saw immediately that RMB was right and was surprised at myself for not having realized something so obvious.  It could be that what is prurient to a man might be merely amusing to a woman, so maybe women could watch the safety video and then tell their husbands the safety instructions.

I think your original instinct was right.

It would seem to me to depend on the actual visuals and not the intent of  causing hirhurim assurim.

For one thing I don't even think the intent was meant to provoke erotic thoughts. It was meant as a gimmick to spur attention to an important message.

Secondly if the paint on a 2 dimensional screen looks like clothing and there is no hint of any erotica (by cleverly covering up actual genitalia) I see no problem with viewing it. If one looks at such a picture w/o knowing that the people are actually naked they may not even realize they are naked. The painted clothing looks cartoonish - not erotic.

The only reason we are even having this discussion is because those who view it already know (via promotion by the airline) that these people were naked with paint substituted for clothing.

I do not believe that is enough to Assur seeing it, especially if the message is important.

Would I advocate making this video L'Chatchila? No. Why not? Precisely because we are having a discussion like this and because it is was produced  in an  immoral way. But certainly B'dieved, I would think it is OK.

HM

Want Emes and Emunah in your life?

Try this: http://haemtza.blogspot.com/