[Avodah] What we say in Tefillos are they normative Beliefs

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 15:12:52 PDT 2009

Zev:

> If you want something equivalent to "Bemotza'ei menucha", see the
> serious discussion about "Avur ki fana yom" which is followed some
> time later by "Hayom yifneh, hashemesh yavo veyifneh", and how to
> avoid speaking falsehood.

The statement above pre-supposes that anything we daven cannot be false
[there may be poetic license, but not a emesikke falshkeit]

About a decade ago I posted that liturgy has required emunos.  maybe not
Ikarei emunah but normative emunah

Assuming Zev's Premise is correct - and I do! - Then anything we continue to
recite Must be normatie belief?  If not, what's the big deal of saying
machnisei rachamim et al.!  After all if we can say things we DO NOT believe
in then there would be no ketatah

OR iow, if we state it -,and there is no objection or macha'ah top stating
it, -if cannot be False. Exactly how normative it is as an emunah might be a
gray area, but this is at least true.

GCT
--
Shana Tova - A Good New Year 5770