[Avodah] Kashrus of a Restaurant Under the Supervision of its Owner

Prof. Levine llevine at stevens.edu
Thu Aug 13 14:23:50 PDT 2009

At 04:23 PM 8/13/2009, Michael Makovi wrote:

>Isn't everyone's own kitchen table under their own supervision?

Doesn't this depend on who in the home does the shopping and that
standards that he or she uses when shopping.  If the wife does the
shopping and the cooking, how many men can tell you what products
actually come into the home?

><snip>
>
>Incidentally, my rabbi told me that he once went to a restaurant, and
>the heksher was a signed letter from one of the "gedolim" (I forget
>who), saying that the proprietor was a personal friend of this given
>gadol. This gadol said that he had never inspected the restaurant
>personally, but he said he personally knew the proprietor to G-d
>fearing, plain as that. As far as I can tell, my rabbi seems have
>believed this letter was authentic, and he said this letter was better
>than any hekhsher the Rabbinut can proffer.

This story I do not understand. Just because someone is G-d fearing
does not men that he or she has extensive kashrus knowledge.  Not all
G-d fearing people have the same kashrus standards. How does one know
what these are without investigating?

>I'm reminded of another story, of Rabbi Yehuda Herzl Henkin eating at
>a wedding. Some pipsqueak little yeshiva bahur (my own rabbi's
>wording) came up to Rabbi Henkin and asked what the hekhsher was.
>Rabbi Henkin took a bite of food and after swallowing, said he didn't
>know. My rabbi, sitting next to Rabbi Henkin, asked him why he wasn't
>concerned, and Rabbi Henkin, livid with anger, threw his fork down and
>said that the hatan and kallah were frum Jews and were surely serving
>kosher, end of discussion.

I have the same comment here.

This story I do not understand. Just because someone is G-d fearing
does not men that he or she has extensive kashrus knowledge.  Not all
G-d fearing people have the same kashrus standards. How does one know
what these are without investigating?

Yitzchok Levine