[Avodah] Tzeni'us and gender roles

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Wed Jul 22 11:43:37 PDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 01:57:20PM -0400, Joseph C. Kaplan wrote:
: Being private is a value; being a public servant is also a value.
: Being private, even if you're especially qualified to serve the public,
: is not a violation of the value of public service; it's simply the
: emphasizing of a different value. Same for the public person. We need
: both, but neither is violating any value by choosing between them.

Emphasizing one of a conflicting pair of values IS violating one for the
sake of the other, a necessary sactifice. I don't see how your reply in
in contradiction to my words that you're quoting: "If being private is
a value, then being a public person is a violation of that value. And
if one is called upon to do so, one is making a necessary sacrifice."

There is a difference, yes, between justifiably choosing to violate
one goal and doing so for no reason or insufficient reason. But that
difference doesn't make the middah that is neglected any less neglected.
This notion of having to choose between them is why I asked those who
want to add modes of avodas H' for women, and change our lifestyle in
fundamental ways, to prove the existence of sufficient reason.

I didn't even assert that the reason doesn't exist. Just that I personally
would require one before liking the venture, and I personally fail
to see it. (Beyond the yoetzet's ability to increase shemiras taharas
hamishpachah.)

The reply has so far been to question the need for such a threshold,
but I haven't really seen the substance of that objection.

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507