[Avodah] Tzeni'us and gender roles

Joseph C. Kaplan jkaplan at tenzerlunin.com
Wed Jul 22 10:57:20 PDT 2009

RMB: "Isn't that logically compelled? If being private is a value, then being
a public person is a violation of that value. And if one is called upon
to do so, one is making a necessary sacrifice. I don't see how you can
accept that postulate and not *deduce* the conclusion, even if RHS didn't
spell it out."

I don't find it compelling.  Being private is a value; being a public servant is also a value.  Being private, even if you're especially qualified to serve the public, is not a violation of the value of public service; it's simply the emphasizing of a different value.  Same for the public person. We need both, but neither is violating any value by choosing between them.

Joseph Kaplan