[Avodah] best v. worst;

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Fri Jul 17 05:22:17 PDT 2009

imo...
1. the Worst that can happen if someone drives on shabbas is .......being mechalel shabbas!! (mi'doiraisa).
2. The Best that can happen if someone attends a shabbas meal (in the short-term) is 1. making kiddush (mi'dirabannan), 2. a woman/women lighting shabbas candles (if they get there early enuf (also mi'dirabbonan); 3. breaking bread with family/friends and making a bracha on the bread (midirobonnon) and; 4. benching (mi'dirabbon as to the exact loshon...)

Imo, if we examine the best case v. the worst case of having invites over......the conclusion should be clear that it is best to avoid having another jew make an aveira (midoraisa) versus possible benefits of midorobbana mitzvas at best....
==================================
I haven't been following the thread but it occurs to me that the shikul hadaat required might be more of an analysis of the probability of the total range of possible outcomes weighted by the  "long term benefit" of each- much like the decision on medical procedures that I've seen in the sh"ut literature.

She-nir'eh et nehamat Yerushalayim u-binyanah bi-mherah ve-yamenu

KT
Joel   Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.