[Avodah] R Tzadok-TSBP

Rabbi at namor.dreamhost.com Rabbi at namor.dreamhost.com
Mon Jul 6 09:59:46 PDT 2009

Michael:
> One thing that has troubled me: In theory, Rav Hirsch's proposal to
> derive hashkafah from halakhah - note his criticism of Rambam, that he
> had ta'amei mitzvot that ignored the halakhah - ...

I have been hesitating to post this.

I think WADR that both Rambam and Hirsch fell into similar traps!

Viz. Since they had a holistic view of Torah they posited and subscribed
to a kind of "unified field theory"

But in both cases it breaks down in some details.

Perhaps that is the nature of humans - ki lo machshevosai
machshevosaichem...

In order to portray torah accurately one would needed a "higher" birds-eye
view to encompass the whole; and as high as Rambam and Hirsch were they
were not high enough to formulate a system that encompassed it all!

Look how flat the earth looks from the ground
And how round from outer space!

Perhaps if either one had ascended higher they could have refined their
systems to encompass more -
Or more likely - no human gets that high!

And even if Moshe Rabbeinu knew all the correct prattim, even he may
not have been able for formulate a unifying theory.

KT
RRW
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile