[Avodah] tznius

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Jul 12 17:14:42 PDT 2009

From:  Joseph Kaplan <jkaplan at tenzerlunin.com>
I think you're conflating the  real with the ideal."[--RJK?]

Not conflation; I don't believe  it's the ideal.  If it were really
the ideal, then you'd see it  in practice somewhere; you'd see RY turn
down sidur kidushin or  reading the ketuvah or getting shlishi or
maftir to teach us that  that's the ideal.  You'd see some rabbi
saying it's not  important for him to introduce a speaker or make
remarks at a dinner  to teach us that that's the ideal.  You'd see
SOMETHING to  indicate that it's truly the ideal.  I see NOTHING
except some  words used not to tell MEN how to behave and teach us
what's the  ideal but to tell women not to do what halacha says they
may  technically do.

Joseph Kaplan

I totally agree with you and I don't think that R' Micha is correct that it
 is a breach of tznius for a man to accept an aliyah, be  a shaliach
tzibbur, be a rosh yeshiva and the like ("but nebach men are forced to  do these
unpleasant jobs because /somebody/ has to do them")

Well maybe I don't /totally/ agree with you because I don't think women
should do these jobs.  I think what is not a breach of tznius for a man
/would/ be a breach of tznius for a woman.  I truly believe that men and  women
are different and that the Torah reflects reality.

It would not be an honor to women but a denigration of their specifically
womanly honor to have them do the same things on a public communal level in
the  synagogue that men do.  It be a concession to the false C and R
premise that what women do in the home is not valuable and is somehow  not "real"
in the same sense that what men do outside the home is valuable and  real.

--Toby  Katz

Steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377098x1201454399/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jul
yExcfooterNO62)