[Avodah] Conflicting Sources

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sat Sep 27 18:24:21 PDT 2008

In a message dated 9/26/2008, gershon.dubin at juno.com writes:

>>>There may be other more complex legalistic reasons, but the  simplest
explanation is that the >>>chain of transmission became  confused over the
centuries and people forgot things [--TK]

>>Did  not Rashi instruct his grandson how to put tefilin together?  When
exactly was the Rashi vs. Rabbenu Tam tefilin forgotten or  confused?>>

I once looked up the years and found that Rabbeinu  Tam was only five years
old when his grandfather Rashi passed away, so no, Rashi  probably did not
instruct his grandson how to put on tefillin (let alone how to  make tefillin).
The story that Rashi's daughters wore tefillin  has  been debunked, so probably
Rabbeinu Tam's father taught him about tefillin  and it was different from
the way Rashi did it, but in any case it could well be  that the confusion had
already happened centuries /before/ Rashi and [at least]  two different
opinions had been transmitted, one of which Rashi received or  deduced and declared
the correct one, according to his mesorah or  understanding.

--Toby  Katz