[Avodah] Feeding fish at Tashlich

Danny Schoemann doniels at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 22:06:57 PDT 2008

wrote in requesting I inform the world that it's forbidden to feed the
fish at Tashlich.

I researched this quickly and found that while on Shabbos you clearly
cannot feed animals that aren't dependent on you (except for stray
dogs) as per SA OC 344, on Yom Tov it's not all that clear.

In OC 497:2 there's a machlokes if you can feed them if you throw the
food at a distance; not directly in front of them. Feeding animals
that you can't eat also seemsto be allowed.

More to the point: In 583:2 where the Remo mentions Tashlich, the
Machazis Hashekel protests vehemently against the Maharil and Eliya
Rabo who advocate feeding the fish.

Clearly feeding the fish is not a 21st century innovation.

Does anybody have a reliable psak, Minhag or Mesora regarding this?

Interestingly enough I can't find Tashlich mentioned in the Oruch
Hashulchon, and somebody told me that the Vilna Gaon was against it -
but I haven't seen a source for that.

Wishing everybody a Shono Tova,

- Danny
http://halocho.blogspot.com