[Avodah] induction cooking

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Fri Sep 26 10:41:25 PDT 2008

M Cohen wrote:
> RZS wrote

>> ... But gerifa is *not* about covering anything.  It's about
>> making it impossible to adjust the flame.

> Gerifa means removal of the source of heat (it is now impossible to
> adjust the fire).   This is not possible on our stoves (covering the
> adjustment knob obviously does not constitute removal of the source
> of heat or make it impossible to adjust the fire)

Huh?  How can you adjust the fire if you can't get at the knobs?
(The fact that you could lift up the blech to get at the knobs shouldn't
matter, on the same principle by which one doesn't have to get rid of
chametz which is buried where you need a "mara vachatzina" to get at it,
because by the time you get them you'll remember that it's Pesach.
The same principle applies here - by the time you lift up the blech to
get at the knobs, you'll remember why the blech is there in the first
place.  Al achas kama vekama if the knobs are taped, or actually removed.)

> Our use of a blech is that it constitutes ketumah

Agreed, as to the top of the blech.

> covering the knobs does NOT constitute ketumah

That's right, it constitutes gerifa, not ketima.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.