[Avodah] childbirth as a time of sakana [was: bat mitzva "bo bayom"]

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Sun Sep 21 09:31:40 PDT 2008

In a message dated 9/21/2008, yadmoshe at 012.net.il writes:

Igros  Moshe (Y.D. 2:74): Concerning inducing premature childbirth.

In my  humble opinion it is prohibited to induce premature childbirth
because  childbirth in its natural time in the natural way is not
considered a  danger at all.

Well, I have to assume that this means in the  normal course of events.  Also
in modern times, maternal death is extremely  rare, so it's not considered a
danger at all today -- having a baby today  is no more risky than driving a
car, and maybe less so.  But in the  past many women did die in childbirth or
shortly thereafter, and that was  /before/ they knew how to induce labor.  I
remember a history or  English professor of mine who said that if you go to the
old cemeteries in  England you will find a large number of graves of women who
died in their  thirties, and then mostly the rest of the women in the cemetery
died in their  seventies and eighties, like now.  The /average/ lifespan was
shorter than  today but that is because of high infant death -- and high
maternal  mortality.  If you got past the danger zone, you could live to be as old
as  people do today.  (That was true for men, too -- once they got to middle
age they typically lived as long as men do today.)

--Toby  Katz