[Avodah] saying tehillim

Zev Sero zev at sero.name
Wed Sep 17 05:12:01 PDT 2008

Eli Turkel wrote:
> As an aside it is generally recognized that kabbalat shabbat
> should be said before sunset but many communities dont make it
> on time

I know this is a common practise, because I've read about it on A/A,
but I had never heard about it before then.  I had been to shuls that
made a break between k"sh and maariv, but it never occurred to me that
this was so as to say k"sh before shkia, I just thought that was an
interesting place to have a break.

In L k"sh is said at that minyan's announced time for maariv.  It's
simply treated as the beginning of maariv for Shabbos.  E.g. when I was
in yeshivah, in winter we would have seder after mincha on Erev Shabbos
until IIRC 7:00 (or perhaps it was 7:30), and then we would start Lechu
Neranena; it's not that we "didn't make it" before shkia, because we all
had to be there on time for mincha, it just never occurred to anyone,
including the hanhala, that we should.

--
Zev Sero               Something has gone seriously awry with this Court's
zev at sero.name          interpretation of the Constitution.