[Avodah] bat mitzva "bo bayom"

Moshe Y. Gluck mgluck at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 21:47:45 PDT 2008

R'n TK:
AFAIK even the bar mitzva celebration is a relatively recent innovation.  IIRC in MOAG it says that R' Yakov Kaminetsky did not have any kind of celebration for his bar mitzva. He was a young boy away at yeshiva far from home and maybe the Rosh Yeshiva wished him mazal tov on his birthday.  Maybe he got an aliyah. Did anybody even drink a lechaim?  Probably not.  I think that was pretty common.

A Yid who grew up in pre-war Europe told my father, IIRC, that his Bar Mitzvah was that he had an Aliyah at the weekday Leining, and then he gave out cigarettes after Davening. The Aliyah was special - it was the first and last Aliyah he had until he got married.

KT,
MYG