[Avodah] bat mitzva "bo bayom"

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Sep 16 12:40:15 PDT 2008

From: "Rich, Joel" _JRich at sibson.com_ (mailto:JRich at sibson.com)

>>See Yam shel  shlomo Bava Kamma 7:37  (ein lcha seuda gdola mizeh) on the
day he  becomes a chiyuv.<<

------------------------------

From:  "Michael Kopinsky" _mkopinsky at gmail.com_ (mailto:mkopinsky at gmail.com)

>>The  same can be said about a siyum. Just because some guy says the names of
Rav  Pappa's sons we get to party, and have meat during the 9 days? (Or eat
on  erev pesach?)

Rather, it's clear that a seudas mitzvah is warranted for a  significant
milestone or accomplishment. The poskim have said a bar mitzvah  is
significant enough for that, and I don't see why a bat mitzvah would be  any
different.<<

There is a difference between an "accomplishment" and a "milestone."   Having
a siyum marks an accomplishment -- there was something you had to  do.
Having a birthday is a milestone.  There are many milestones that  go unmarked.
For instance, the day a woman gives birth to a baby is a  huge milestone for
her, guaranteed to be remembered for the rest of her  life.  But there is no
se'uda associated with it.  She can make a  se'udas hoda'ah if she wants but most
people don't.  I suppose the party  made for a bar or bas mitzva could be
se'udas hoda'ah or if the  boy makes a siyum it could be a se'udas mitzva.

RJR quoted the  "Yam shel shlomo Bava Kamma 7:37  (ein lcha seuda  gdola
mizeh)."  The same logic would seem to apply equally to a bas mitzva,  yet there
never was any such thing as a bas mitzva celebration until the
Reconstructionists and then the Reform came up with it.

I find it highly ironic that we are noch-shleppers to the Reform movement  in
this, that today most charedim make a party for their 12-year-old girls and
don't even know where the idea of a bas mitzva party came from.  Not that
there's anything wrong with that, to quote Jerry Seinfeld.

AFAIK even the bar mitzva celebration is a relatively recent  innovation.
IIRC in MOAG it says that R' Yakov Kaminetsky did not have any  kind of
celebration for his bar mitzva. He was a young boy away at  yeshiva far from home and
maybe the Rosh Yeshiva wished him mazal tov on  his birthday.  Maybe he got an
aliyah. Did anybody even drink a  lechaim?  Probably not.  I think that was
pretty common.

--Toby  Katz