[Avodah] Reciting l'Dovid Hashem Ori...

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Sep 16 11:10:58 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 03:06:03AM +0000, kennethgmiller at juno.com wrote:
: My guess is that there is no posek or minhag who has a clear cutoff
: point to describe which additions they say and which they don't. Rather, I
: suspect, each addition was judged on its own merits: "Will this community
: appreciate this proposal and benefit from it, or will they consider it
: to be a burden?" ...

Part of that assessment should be the iffy nature of the origin of
LeDavid. Which sets it behind saying Parashas haMan, a custom of better
pedigree, comparable antiquity and less popularity.

Tirkhah deTziburah is an understatement. It's not just a matter of trying
people's patience. It's also one of keeping davening shorter than the
mispallelim's attention span. As I admitted on Areivim, I can't sit still
with kavanah as long as it would take me to say the whole shacharis,
so instead I come when shul begins, and skip as needed to catch up for
Barekhu. Add more and more after Shir Shel Yom, and more people will be
doing the same.

Micha Berger             Rescue me from the desire to win every
micha at aishdas.org        argument and to always be right.
http://www.aishdas.org              - Rav Nassan of Breslav
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   Likutei Tefilos 94:964