[Avodah] HaShem as God's Name

David Roth droth at pobox.com
Mon Sep 15 05:40:10 PDT 2008

R. Akiva Miller wrote:
> I have very clear memories of a gemara in which an amora (or maybe a tanna) was
> quoted as saying "Elo-him!" in a context which I was unable to tranlate in any manner
> other than as a meaningless exclamation. The gemara spelled that name with the
> usual five letters, and no fancy abbreviation marks. I've mean meaning to ask about
> it for many years, but unfortunately I've forgotten where it appeared. Does this ring
> a bell in anyone's memory? Anyone know where it appears?

The one I rememered was "ve-ha-elokim! amar rav..."  Since then, I've
found several more.  It seems that this exclamation was part of the
vocabulary of certain Amoraim, though perhaps it's more acceptable
when they're engaged in and surprised about a matter of Torah.  I tend
to translate it as "(and) by God..."

On another note, when learning these sugyot, does anyone pronounce the
Divine name differently than in a pasuq quoted by the Gemara?

Here is the quick list that I've come up with:
Rav Hisda (Berakhot 24b, Moed Qatan 9a)
Rav Nahman bar Yitzhaq (Shabbat 94b)
Rava (Eiruvin 14b, Megillah 10a, Ketubbot 102b, Bava Qama 106a, Bava
Metzia 16b, Sanhedrin 72a)
Rav Yosef (Nazir 42b)
Rav (Kiddushin 42b)
Rav Papa (Sanhedrin 67b)
Rabbah (Makkot 15a)
Rav Nahman (Hullin 54a, Hullin 124a)
Rabbi Yohanan (Hullin 54a, Hullin 124a(?))
Rav Hiyya bar Yosef (Hullin 54a)

Kol Tuv,
David