[Avodah] HaShem as God's Name

SBA sba at sba2.com
Mon Sep 15 18:05:07 PDT 2008

From: T613K at aol.com
..., my impression is that it was  rare for people to refer to Him as "Gott"
but rather they would say the  "Ribono Shel Olam" which, the way my
grandparents said it, when I was a  child I thought was one  six-syllable
Yiddish word -- "Ribonashalolam"  -- with the major stress on the second
syllable and a secondary stress on the  fifth (penultimate) syllable.

This thread reminded me of us as youngsters saying (when not davvening or
making a brocho) "Adoshem" rather than "Hashem".
I thought that this may have been a Hungarian thing (and the KSA 6:3 says
not to use that term). Our Rav at the time, Rav Betzalel Stern zt'l, also
used that word.
But in later years I noticed that so did the rav of Chabad, Rav Groner zt'l.
So there must have been a far greater useage in earlier times.

Anyone else hear it said thus?

SBA