[Avodah] HaShem as God's Name

Daniel Eidensohn yadmoshe at 012.net.il
Mon Sep 8 11:36:51 PDT 2008

R' Aryeh Herzig wrote:
> People today have become averse to using the word "G-d" in normal
> conversations.  (According to the last mishna in Berachos it seems
> important to Davka use the name of G-d and even pronounce it in
> greeting another Jew.)

Strangely enough, the decree attributed to Boaz mentioned in the mishna,
mentioned in medrash, mentioned also in Makkos (23b) as being one of
three things that were decreed on earth and were agreed to in the
heavenly court - nevertheless is not brought as halacha. One explanation
I saw is that people could not accept the obligation or even the
permission to use G-d's name. [See also Rashi in Makkos (23b)]

Daniel Eidensohn