[Avodah] HaShem as God's Name

Aryeh Herzig guraryeh at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 08:58:10 PDT 2008

Cantor Wolberg wrote:  As a child in  50's I NEVER heard HaShem used other than Boruch ata HaShem so as not
to make a b'rocho l'vatala. But when referring to God in conversation,
we always said God. This was in Yeshiva circles, etc. etc.
The fact that the Shulchan Aruch says to say HaShem may be referring
to the context I just indicated but for general usage (even if the
shulchan aruch meant that) in practice, I never heard it. It seems to
have become popular later on.

As someone who was also a child in the fifties with survivor Yiddish-speaking parents, I attest that this is absolutely true.
People today have become averse to using the word "G-d" in normal conversations.  (According to the last mishna in Berachos it seems important to Davka use the name of G-d and even pronounce it in greeting another Jew.)

More evidence:  Last names are at least two to three hundred years old.   You've heard of "Gottlieb", of course.  Have you ever heard of "Hashemlieb"?

Aryeh Herzig