[Avodah] l'Dovid Hashem Ori

Dov Kay dov_kay at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Sep 7 03:44:49 PDT 2008

RTY wrote: <<This is exactly the kind of situation where da'as Torah comes into play... But you should not say you're leaving it out because you have a better understanding and knowledge of what is right and proper than all the other poskim. I know you don't mean it that way but it sounds arrogant.>>

I don't know what daas Torah has to do with it.   It's a question of minhag and halacha.  If a posek, no matter how great, is unfamiliar with the origins of a custom, his ruling on the propriety or otherwise of that custom is not authoritative (cf the Aroch HaShulchan's ruling regarding electricity on YT, where I think most would agree that this greatest of poskim erred because he misunderstood the technology).  If this sounds arrogant, so be it.

<<I would not follow modern academic scholars in preference to da'as Torah, especially since one may well have reason to suspect that most such academics NEVER say L'Dovid Hashem Ori or any other perek of Tehillim. Their devotion to pure halacha may well be doubted.>>

My practice is to be m'kabel es ho-emes mimishe'omro.  I don't know why you suspect that the devotion of most academics who have dealt with this issue to "pure halacha" (whatever you mean by that) is doubtful.  Some might construe that as a slur on fine yirei shomayim.  I do. And anyway, it is not only "professors" and academics who have dealt with the origins of this custom.

<<Although you wrote that you are 'following one set of poskim against others' the only posek you actually named was Rav Emden>>

As others have pointed out, there is a slew of chassidic Rebbes who davka did not say this kapitel in Elul owing to its attribution to the Chemdas Yomim (see Y. Levy, Minhag Yisroel Torah, vol 3, p.66).  I believe the author is a Satmarer chossid, in case that makes it more persuasive.  Also, the Vilna Gaon didn't say it (Maaseh Rav).  Minhag Frankfurt is not to say it.

Nobody is arguing that this kapitel is not beautiful.  We are discussing the custom of saying it as part of the seder haTefillah.  I, for one, am leery of any changes to the seder haTefillah.  However, when I am a shaliach tzibbur, I do say it.  I also do not advertise my omission of this kapital when davenen as part of a tzibbur.  What do think I am, arrogant or something?

Ultimately, I think our disagreement boils down to the efficacy of "time-hallowing".  R. M. Feinstein politely questioned the propriety of the wholesale abandoning of nusach Ashkenaz in favour of nusach Sefard, thereby permitting a nusach Sefard davener to "revert" to nusach Ashkenaz.  Many would say that this change has been time-hallowed, a claim that even I cannot seriously dismiss.  Sometimes, a misnagid just has to admit when he's beat.

Kol tuv
Dov Kay