[Avodah] Geirut

Arie Folger afolger at aishdas.org
Sun Aug 24 13:31:57 PDT 2008

Besides reflecting on giyur qatan, R'n CL has been musing, as well, on the
necessity for a ger's qabalat 'ol mitzvot to follow a known halakhic model,
for otherwise it would be entirely an issue of devarim shebelev, which could
not possibly affect the validity of the giyur.

I have mentioned in my posts that certain things aren't just devarim shebelev,
but umdana demukh'ah. I now want to show this using a known "halakhic
paradigm" (as per R'nCL's appropriately used nomenclature).

The Talmud Bavli 'Hullin 12b-13a (it is actually quoting a mishnah, but almost
all my sefarim are in boxes, and kodesh.snunit.k12.il does not have Messoret
haShas, so, let's just quote the Bavli) explains that while qetanim do not
have ma'hshavah (=da'at), and thus cannot declare an object finished and
subject to qabalat tum'ah, nonetheless, they do have one kind of ma'hshavah:
ma'hashavto nikeret motokh ma'assav. Children who play with nut shells and
turn them into scales for weighing have effectuated the necessary ma'hshavah
to render them meqabel tum'ah.

I contend that the lifestyle of the candidate for conversion can often tell us
a great deal about his ma'hshavah. His actions reveal to us what his heart
conceals. If someone claims to accept 'ol mitzvot, but never even kept one
Shabbat shevitat melakhah on the most rudimentary level, and that after
he/she/it went through a conversion course, then his action scream loudly
that there is no qabalat 'ol mitzvot.

Kind regards,
--
Arie Folger