[Avodah] Geirut

Yitzhak Grossman celejar at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 11:35:18 PDT 2008

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 20:57:54 +0200
Arie Folger <afolger at aishdas.org> wrote:

> On Monday, 18. August 2008 17.35:52 avodah-request at lists.aishdas.org wrote:
> > R'n CL (on Areivim):
> > If kabalas ol mitzvos is an intrinsic requirement for giyor, then it could
> > not be done for a minor, because a minor does not have daas, and hence is
> > not capable of kabalas ol mitzvos.
>
> Not necessarily. It would mean that the da'at of Beit Din stands en lieu of
> the qatan's da'at, just like beit din can appoint an apotropos who is
> qualified to make decisions requiring da'at en lieu of the minor orphans.
>
> Alternatively, it may be that qabalat 'ol mitzvot is a requirement similar to
> the obligation to bring an 'olah scarifice upon converting: when impossible
> it need not be done. Bringing the sacrifice is impossible when the Beit
> haMiqdash isn't standing, having da'at is impossible for a qatan.

Ritva (Kesuvos 11a):

"We immerse him, even though it is normally required that we inform the
potential convert of [some] lenient and severe [commandments], that is
a Mizva but is not Me'akev, and here where he cannot be informed, it is
not Me'akev"

This is apparently RnCl's position; I don't know whether the other
Rishonim agree.

Yitzhak
--
Bein Din Ledin - bdl.freehostia.com
An advanced discussion of Hoshen Mishpat