[Avodah] tisha baav on sunday

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Fri Aug 15 02:56:08 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 4:29pm PDT, R Eli Turkel wrote:
: Since eating a big meal in the afternoon has obvious benefits for shabbat
: itself I don't see the problem. The fact that we have in our mind for
: motzei shabbat or sunday is irrelevant

But you're also saying (as clarified in peronal email) that the fact
that we and observers will have in mind that this is about remembering
(the human cost of) churban bayis, and will/should start feeling sorrow
because of those thoughts is also irrelevent.

Saying that aveilus is defined as a rite, and not as an emotion that
a rite shows us how to productively express seems to me to be a major
chiddush.

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             "The most prevalent illness of our generation is
micha at aishdas.org        excessive anxiety....  Emunah decreases anxiety:
http://www.aishdas.org   'The Almighty is my source of salvation;  I will
Fax: (270) 514-1507      trust and not be afraid.'" (Isa 12) -Shalhevesya