[Avodah] Tisha B'Av on Sunday

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Thu Aug 14 00:51:45 PDT 2008

From: "Stuart Feldhamer" _stuart.feldhamer at gmail.com_
(mailto:stuart.feldhamer at gmail.com)

>>The common thread between all the replies is that one hour of not  eating is
not really fasting.

I had thought of that answer but  I find it to be incomplete. You can't have
it both ways. Either it's fasting,  or it isn't. If it isn't fasting, then
there is no need to make a restriction  on eating and drinking during  that
time.<<

Stuart

If  you have already bentshed on an ordinary Shabbos after sholosh seudos,
and  it's getting dark, you can't eat until havdalah, but that's not called
"fasting on Shabbos."

But I will add a bit more.  The norm is that we always add time to the
beginning and end of Whatever, to make sure we don't transgress.  So we add  a bit
to the beginning and end of Shabbos, a bit to the beginning and end of  Tisha
B'Av, etc.  We never simply have a 24-hour Whatever.

Here Shabbos is edging into Tisha B'av and the fuzzy hour is that  hour which
we have tacked onto the end of Shabbos, which is at the same time the  hour
we have added to the beginning of Tisha B'Av.  Now, you can look at it  sort of
like those quantum photons or Schroedinger's cats that are neither  this nor
that, or maybe both.  That hour is either Shabbos or Tisha  B'Av or somehow
both if you don't look too closely.  To the degree that  it's Tisha B'Av, that
hour is already Sunday and you have begun the fast (by not  eating anymore).
To the degree that it's Shabbos, it's still Saturday and  you are not fasting
because you have eaten and drunk all day.

"You can't have it both ways."  Tell it to Schroedinger's cat.

--Toby  Katz

Read reviews on AOL Autos.