[Avodah] Tisha B'Av on Sunday

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Wed Aug 13 18:50:19 PDT 2008

S.F. wrote: I had thought of that answer but I find it to be
incomplete. You can't have
it both ways. Either it's fasting, or it isn't. If it isn't fasting,
then
there is no need to make a restriction on eating and drinking during
that
time.

With that reasoning, you can say that all people fast every day --
from the time
they go to sleep until they wake up. Therefore, we are all tzaddikim
because
we all fast EVERY day, since You can't have it both ways.

There are parts of every day we don't eat or drink. That doesn't mean
that
we have fasted.

(Tisha B'Av is more about public mourning rather than fasting. So not
eating the last hour
of Shabbos (if that is indeed the case) is not a public display of
mourning anyway).
ri