[Avodah] kenignaot

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Aug 12 20:00:26 PDT 2008

From: "Simon Krysl" _skrysl at gmail.com_ (mailto:skrysl at gmail.com)

>>I am writing in the hope for a possible insight on perhaps a  technical -
but
to me no less perplexing - question. The Kitzur Shulkhan  Arukh (126.4),
based on Magen Avraham 224.3, prohibits attending "animal  shows" presented
by goyim, as well as dances and other joyful occasions, as  moshavei leicim.
R. Avrohom Davis translates "kenignaot" as "animal shows"  which, I assume,
would concern circuses and similar, yet an explanatory note  ( in the text of
the Kitzur itself?) in the Hebrew explicates kenignaot as  "ceid hayot", that
is, hunts. (I do not find any etymology or explanation of  the word
"kenignaot" elsewhere.) <<

I will make a guess -- that "kenig" is the  Yiddish word for "king" and that
what is being referred to here is the kind of  "animal show" that would be put
on for kings, for example, some kind of  tournament  or staged combat where
knights on horses joust in an arena,  with one of them ending up dead.  The old
 Roman gladiator  contests, and Spanish bull fighting, and even Wild West
rodeos, also come  to mind.  (However, in rodeos humans aren't hurt and animals
aren't killed  for the amusement of the crowd, so they aren't so bad in my
mind.)

--Toby  Katz

Read reviews on AOL Autos.