[Avodah] Wine Gladdens the Heart

Liron Kopinsky liron.kopinsky at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 23:47:16 PDT 2008

> I would have thought that wine would have been assur right before Tisha
> b'Av, even though it is Shabbos.
>
> Any thoughts?
> ri

Maybe one could say Lo Plug? Once wine was permitted for kiddush on friday
night and shabbat day, the chachamim just permitted the drink of wine in
general on Shabbat.
Maybe there is a difference betwen making something explicitely assur
according to the letter of the law vs. just something that is obviously not
the way a true yirei shamayim would act, but isn't explicitely forbidden.

This is a bit of a stretch but...
Maybe there is an inherent simcha in the act of drinking wine that surpasses
the lingering effects of the wine in the system after it has been consumed?
Or...
Maybe the drunk feeling from wine is very much affected by the atmosphere
around it. In general, "yayin mesamach levav enosh", but I have seen many a
drunk person crying as well. Maybe the act of drinking the wine is a joyous
one, but that once the person is already drunk and in a more emotional
state, they could be able to turn those emotions towards the loss of the
beit hamikdash, so with this possiblity the chachamim chose not to forbid
the wine close to 9 b'Av even though it would probably not be advisable for
most people to take this path of action.

Kol Tuv,
~Liron