[Avodah] Happenstance In this world

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Sun Aug 3 16:48:48 PDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 03, 2008 at 02:01:11AM -0400, Celejar wrote:
: I believe that some contemporary Hareidi thinkers have denied that any
: Rishonim actually reject the contemporarily popular maximalist belief
: in divine providence, but I can't see how their position can be
: taken seriously, in view of the perfectly clear language of the
: Rishonim.

OTOH, the Rambam holds of universal hashgachah. What he denies is
univeral hashgachah peratis. Epicurus believed that nature included
happenstance. Aristotle argued that nature was an expression of Divine
Wisdom. The Moreh identifies nature with hashgachah kelalis. "Mizreh",
he holds, is another term for non-obvious HP. This, at least, acording to
Sifsei Chaim, "Emunah uBitachon",

See the thread
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=M#MIXED%20DANCING%20REWARD%20AND%20PUNISHMENT
from 7 years back.

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507