[Avodah] Hating a Meisis to Kefirah, Should be - Hating any Jew

Meir Rabi meirabi at optusnet.com.au
Sat Aug 2 23:18:44 PDT 2008

I don't really follow the discussion.
There is a prohibition to hate a fellow Jew IN ONES HEART. That means
secretly. There is no prohibition transgressed if one discloses that hatred.

If one has valid cause to hate someone, for example, they have sinned and
not responded to encouragement to repent and repair the damage they caused,
we are obligated to hate them.

We are taught that it is against Halacha to deny someone a favour because
they denied us a favour. This is the rule of not taking revenge.

We are similarly instructed to obliterate from our memory the event of being
denied that favour. This is the rule of not bearing a grudge.

We must define what the Halacha instructs us to do in the manner of hating
such people.

We are not permitted to physically attack them or their property but we are
certainly permitted and I believe even commanded to deny them any
assistance. In certain circumstances we are permitted and I believe even
commanded to publicise their behaviour.

We are commanded not to be Chonef (which is often translated as "flattery"
but that fails to accurately capture the scope or the severity of this
prohibition) We are not permitted to show any support in any manner to
someone who has wrongfully hurt a fellow Jew even if that support is not at
all related to the evil that has been perpetrated. This prohibition
according to R Yona must be avoided at all costs even where ones life is
endangered.

And may I add, as we are in the sad month of Av, Chazal saw the Chanufa of
the Chachamim to Agrippa the king as the cause for the destruction not only
of the Beis HaMikdash but the broader consequences of the Churban. (The
Artscroll English Gemara seems to have inadvertently misinterpreted the
Mishnah of Sotah to blame not the rabbis but the people.)

We are only commanded to assist them in circumstances where their life is in
danger, unless they are a Meissis. I think this is the only circumstance in
which there is a diff between Meissis and other ReShaIm.

meir