[Avodah] siruv

Saul Guberman saulguberman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 13:29:43 PDT 2008

On wrote:

> 1- if someone is placed in siruv etc for get issues, what is the
> responsibility of the shul he davens in?
> must he be asked to leave? is he allowed to be a member?
>
> 2- if the shul knowingly harbors such an individual does it affect the
> status of the shul?
>
> 3- is there a policy on this issue by the OU, aguda, RCA ?

 Our shul (Yavneh Minyan of Flatbush) has written into the by laws that any
member obstructing giving a get is to be expelled until the issue is
resolved.  A siruv is part of the criteria used to determine if someone is
obstructing the giving of a get.

This actually happened about six months ago in our shul.  The first time in
the history of the shul  The Rabbi conferred with the BDA, who had issued
the siruv.  The person was given about 2 weeks to correct the situation &
told the ramifications of not correcting it.  At that point, the Rabbi, at
the Shabbos drasha time, taught some hilchot of Seruv & announced the name
of the person.  He explained the Minyan's policy but stopped short of
putting him in Cherem.

I am not sure I understand point # 3 as there are halachos that deal with
the ramifications of a person who ignores a seruv of a Beis Din.   Maybe
there would be a question if it is of a Beis Din that the shul does not
recognize.

Hope this helps,

Saul