[Avodah] siruv

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 29 13:48:03 PDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 02:44pm EDT, I forwarded:
: 1- if someone is placed in siruv etc for get issues, what is the
: responsibility of the shul he davens in?

I think you're assuming that a siruv includes a standard set of rules.

Each siruv differs, depending upon how defiant the BD considers the
person to be.

In Jan 1993, JO carried an article by R' Chaim Dovid Zweibel that said
the Agudah (US? global?) developed the following guideline for the
treatment of anyone subject to a pesaq siruv ladin. He may not:

 The RCA writes <http://www.rabbis.org/news/article.cfm?id=101025>:
> Resolved, that any person against whom there is an outstanding Shetar
> Siruv, issued by a Beit Din consisting of three Orthodox Rabbis, in
> regard to matters of issuance or receipt of a Get:
> 1. Shall not be permitted to occupy any elective or appointed position,
>    or position as employee, within the Synagogue organization or within
>    any of its affiliates.
> 2. Shall be excluded from membership in the Synagogue or in any of its
>    affiliates.
> 3. Shall not be called to the Torah nor be given any other liturgical
>    honor on any occasion.

> Further, that such person who reside within our community:
> 4. Shall have his or her name announced on a regular monthly basis at
>    the conclusion of Sabbath services.
> 5. Shall have his or her name published in the Synagogue bulletin with a
>    call to the membership to limit their social and economic relations to
>    such persons.

The RCA doesn't mention anything about semachos, perhaps with concern
that it could be the bar mitzvah age son who would be punished. OTOH,
they take a much harder line by not only letting the person know he is
no longer welcome, they're telling the community monthly and in the shul
bulletin to shun him -- and outside shul too!

But ideally the shetar siruv should spell out the steps they want to see
taken.

Micha Berger             In the days of our sages, man didn't sin unless
micha at aishdas.org        he was overcome with a spirit of foolishness.
http://www.aishdas.org   Today, we don't do a mitzvah unless we receive
Fax: (270) 514-1507      a spirit of purity.      - Rabbi Israel Salanter