[Avodah] TIDE and Austritt

Rich, Joel JRich at sibson.com
Mon Jul 28 18:46:19 PDT 2008

From: "Rich, Joel" JRich at sibson.com
    >>For those who are interested, R'YBS has a long piece on the
issue of orthodox military chaplains (both from the macro and micro
viewpoint) in Community, Covenant and Commitment.  He is in favor.<<

Exactly what I would have expected.  People always wonder why the rest
of the Torah world somewhat kept its distance from RYBS.

My father was never an army chaplain (and didn't approve of Orthodox
Jews taking that job, which involves almost inevitable halachic
compromises) but was very involved with Jews in the military, especially
when we lived in Newport News -- where there are several nearby military
bases.  I mention this only to point out that not serving in the
chaplaincy does not mean abandoning Jewish servicemen.

--Toby Katz
=============

 R'YBS's tshuva takes up 35 pages in the book.  He first deals with the
micro-halachik issues for wartime chaplains (1950-Korean war, orthodox
chaplains not meeting the demand which was being filled by non-orthodox)
.  He then deals with the macro issue-what happens if orthodox chaplains
do not volunteer (e.g. who will deal with Jewish Servicemen as a whole,
what will the impact be on non-religious Jews and on the perception of
orthodoxy) and concludes it is our duty to take up the challenge.   IMHO
this goes to the heart of a major divide between MO and charedi
orthodoxy - to what degree do we concern ourselves with the  portion of
our mesora which deals with the more universal klal. In a related
context I strongly suggest listening to
http://www.michtavim.com/Marc_B_Shapiro_Authority_of_Moroccan_Rabbinate_
March_20_2007_YU.WAV where R" DR M Shapiro discusses the Moroccan
rabbinate.

KT
Joel Rich

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE
ADDRESSEE.  IT MAY CONTAIN PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL
INFORMATION THAT IS EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE.  Dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message by anyone other than the addressee is
strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us
immediately by replying: "Received in error" and delete the message.
Thank you.