[Avodah] infallibility of chazal

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 19:21:30 PDT 2008

> What I think is more accurate to say is that the Psak of Chazal should be
> looked at as binding, not that they were infallible.

 It's just like Umpires.  They are not infallible but their ruling are
oficial.

Consider Hazal as:

   1. Reliable
   2. Authoritative
   3. Informative
   4. Sincere

I have made similar points over the years about minhaggim or the Psakim in
SA. They are reliable but not infallible [especially in the absence of
contravening evidence]. It's a useful distinction imho.

One of my LW colleagues accuses some RW Ortho's as treating  their Rabbanim
as infallible. I often dispute him and say that they consider them as
reliable, NOT as infallbile. There is a difference.

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com