[Avodah] infallibility of chazal

Daniel Israel dmi1 at hushmail.com
Sun Aug 3 21:06:04 PDT 2008

Eli Turkel wrote:
> In a slightly differenr vein I heard in the name of Rav Elyashiv
> (from his s-i-l) that one needs to accept the opinion of modern medicine but
> not of individual doctors
> i.e. one distinguishes between universally accepted truths and individual
> opinions and theories.

I wonder what the context was.  I assume "accept" here can't mean
"accept as true."  Obviously the state of the art in medicine can be
wrong in a way that the consensus of Chazal can't be.  (I could refine
that statement to deal with your example of the mistaken Sanhedrin, but
I assume my basic point is clear.)  I assume the point is that we have
some obligation to go by the best available information.

--
Daniel M. Israel
dmi1 at cornell.edu