[Avodah] Hashavat Aveida or Lifnei Iver?

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Sun Jul 27 09:41:32 PDT 2008

The question was asked:
> One of the shabbatot in the last few weeks I spent in a hotel for a
> shabbaton, and one of the people who I was rooming with left a razor
> behind
> when they left.
> Is there a mitzvah of Hashavat Aveida, or can I not return it
> because of the
> obvious halachik implications of using it?

I assume by a razor left behind, it wasn't just a razor alone but
rather the shaving implement which is also referred to as a razor (as
opposed to just a razor blade which could have
been used for something other than shaving).

If indeed it was a shaving razor, I'll answer the question with
another question.  If that same individual left behind a can of
crabmeat, is there a mitzvah of hashavat aveida. I don't
think so.

By the way, if it was after shiva asar b'Tammuz, you could have told
him he shouldn't shave. (That's like saying what b'rocho do you make
over lobster)?

ri