[Avodah] Differences between Charedism and Modern Orthodoxy

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 19:48:21 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Yitzhak Grossman <celejar at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is one thing to say that Hazal can error, which is undeniable, but
> quite another to say that "They were human beings subject to the spirit
> of their time and that influenced how they created rabbinic law".  [I
> take no position here as to whether the latter belief is true, false,
> pernicious or heretical.]
>
> Yitzhak
> --

I am wondering if we can ever get a Centrist position on this matter:

C's and R's and others fro mte hCritical school think of Hazal [and
Rishonim] as completely subject to sociological pressures]

OTOH Ortho's refuse to see ANY impact of Society to their statments either
in Aggadah or Halachah.

Isn't it possible that Hazal and Poskim were sometimes impervious to what
was going around them and sometimes influenced?  how about the Bar Yochai
ma'aseh where he criticized rome, one Tanna Parised Rome and one was
silent.  Dosn't this show various legitimate degrees of Hashkafic latitude
on the outside universe?

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com