[Avodah] Differences between Charedism and Modern Orthodoxy

Yitzhak Grossman celejar at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 12:13:27 PDT 2008

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:13:38 -0400
David Riceman <driceman at att.net> wrote:

> Harry Maryles wrote:
> > Modern Orthodoxy has often been accused of believing that Chazal were
> > fallible - that they made mistakes. They were human beings subject to
> > the spirit of their time and that influenced how they created rabbinic
> > law which we must follow.
> >
> > This is simply not true. Modern Orthodoxy does not believe that.
> > Faulting Chazal in this way is tantamount to heresy!
> >
> I.m sure we've discussed this before, but nonetheless I'll ask again.
> Was Rabbeinu HaKadosh a heretic for discussing in Masseches Horayos what
> to do when the Sanhedrin makes a mistake? Or do you claim that Hazal
> were actually more competent than the Sanhedrin?

It is one thing to say that Hazal can error, which is undeniable, but
quite another to say that "They were human beings subject to the spirit
of their time and that influenced how they created rabbinic law".  [I
take no position here as to whether the latter belief is true, false,
pernicious or heretical.]

> David Riceman

Yitzhak
--
Bein Din Ledin - bdl.freehostia.com
An advanced discussion of Hoshen Mishpat