[Avodah] Kohanim in Cars in Cemeteries

Joshua Meisner jmeisner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 09:34:05 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 4:08 PM, kennethgmiller at juno.com <
kennethgmiller at juno.com> wrote:

> I vaguely recall hearing a long time ago, that cars are not mekabel tumah,
> because they are not keilim, because they are too large. Despite being
> movable, it still counts as a binyan. I think the shiur was 40 seah. Or so
> my memory says.

K'li ha-ba'ah b'midah (aka k'li he-asui l'nachas) is only a din by wood,
hide, or cloth, as is learned out from a hekesh to a sack (which is intended
to be movable even when full) in Vayikra 11:32 - see Chagiga 26b and Rambam
Hil. Keilim 3:2 and 3:3.

RJDBleich in his article on airplanes that I previously mentioned (Tradition
36:4) mentions several other reasons why this heter would not apply to a
vehicle, including that it has wheels (so is movable) and that it is used
for seating (as excepted by Tos' Shabbos 44b DH Mucheni).

Joshua Meisner