[Avodah] kohen in war / pinchas & kehuna

David Riceman driceman at att.net
Wed Jul 23 06:00:16 PDT 2008

Sorry; I pressed send (to RMP) before writing my reply.  Here goes:

Michael Poppers wrote:

> How does considering Pin'chas a (to quote from that sugya in Maseches
> Z'vachim) "mashuach milchamah" (which presumably occurred *after* he
> killed Zimri, given the comment of RaShY mentioned by RDR) constitute
> any contradiction to RET's "note" (which comes from the same sugya --
> see 101b)?

My apologies; I was thinking of the variant of the braitta appearing in
Seder Olam Rabba (ed. Ratner, chapter 7, p. 18) in which the braitta
makes clear that an opinion exists that this was true on the day of the
consecration of the Mishkan.  See Ratner's note 41 there.

David Riceman