[Avodah] Mattos "Human Nature Hasn't Changed Much"

Cantor Wolberg cantorwolberg at cox.net
Mon Jul 21 18:18:01 PDT 2008

If you look at Ch.32, verse 3, you will notice a very unusual posuk.
The entire sentence consists of nine words and every word is the name
of a city.

In Ch.32, verse 16, the tribes of Gad and Reuben approached Moshe and
said "Pens for the flock shall we build here for our livestock and
cities for our small children."
It is such an instructive posuk.  The people put their animals before
their children.  How selfish to favor their property over their own
flesh and blood!

However, in verse 24, Moshe responds to the tribes: "Build for
yourselves cities for your small children and pens for your flock. So
in essence Moses set them straight.

Several years ago a terrorist in Israel attached a bomb to a donkey
and took the donkey to the main outdoor Jerusalem marketplace.
The bomb killed many innocent people. Shortly thereafter, a protest
was sent out by PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals)
criticizing and
condemning the killing of the donkey. There was no mention of the
Israelis who were killed. Hard to believe -- enough to make one
enraged and incensed!

rw