[Avodah] Mevatlin TT lehotzoas hameis

T613K at aol.com T613K at aol.com
Tue Jul 15 11:01:05 PDT 2008

From: "kennethgmiller at juno.com" _kennethgmiller at juno.com_
(mailto:kennethgmiller at juno.com)

>  And finally there are many poskim who rule that
> kevurah is only a  mitzvat d'rabbanan (see: Rambam
> Hilchot Avel 14:1; Chavot Yair 139).  [--RJB]

>>Do we actually hold this way?

If we do, why would  a Kohen Gadol interrupt his d'Oraisa involvement with
tzorchei tzibur, merely to  do a d'rabanan of mes  mitzvah?<<

I don't know the answer to  your question "Do we really hold this  way?" but
it seems to me that even if the body doesn't have to be /buried/  it does have
to be protected in some way.  Cf the halacha about not leaving  the body of
an executed criminal hanging overnight.  You can't leave the  body exposed to
the elements, to wild animals, even to the stares of passing  people.  If it
doesn't have to be put in the ground, it has to be covered  and put /somewhere/
that is honorable and safe from desecration.

--Toby  Katz