[Avodah] No Right to Mezuzot at Condos

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Tue Jul 15 07:35:41 PDT 2008

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:30 EDT, R Saul Guberman  wrote to Areivim:
>  http://www.nysun.com/national/no-right-to-mezuzot-at-condos/81659/

> ...The 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled, 2-1, that the
> condominium association at Shoreline Towers in Chicago did not run
> afoul of the Fair Housing Act when managers removed the religious
> items pursuant to a rule barring the placement of signs, shoes, mats,
> and any other sort of object outside residents' doors.

One of the guys in shiur once asked RDLifshitz about who had the
responsibility of checking the mezuzos in our dorm rooms. Within the
conversation, this very case came up.

RDL suggested (my memory is that RDL was speaking lehalakhah with no
consideration of lema'aseh) that if the person doesn't have control over
whether or not he can hang the mezuzah, he lacks sufficient baalus over
the condo to require him to hang it anyway.

(That's not to say the decision is moral or consistent with US law. That
topic would have stayed on Areivim.)

Micha Berger             The fittingness of your matzos [for the seder]
micha at aishdas.org        isn't complete with being careful in the laws
http://www.aishdas.org   of Passover. One must also be very careful in
Fax: (270) 514-1507      the laws of business.    - Rabbi Israel Salanter