[Avodah] public bet din

Eli Turkel eliturkel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 13:41:03 PDT 2008

<<It is obvious from the Gmara that Audiences are a pre-suppostion. That is my
point
Furthermore the gmara states that a witness MAY not testify w/o an auftu
because eif he fails to effect anything he is merely motzi shiem ra.  This
clearly indicates that if he CAN effect something he msut tesfity and the
audicen is nto construed as hearing LH.

That is mashma behedya if you will. Why I don't know. But if a witness were
testifying in total secret [in camera] then what's the motzi sheim ra - to
the dayynim? They're not suppose to believe him anyway.>>

I checked with R. Michael Broyde who stated that at least today all proceedings
of the bet din are completely closed

--
Eli Turkel