[Avodah] TIDE and Austritt

Micha Berger micha at aishdas.org
Mon Jul 14 12:29:10 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 02:19:17PM -0400, T613K at aol.com wrote:
: RMB:  >>For that matter, what challenges the supremacy  of Torah?
: NCSY's anthem closes with the words "see what it means /
: that  Torah reigns supreme!" And yet they are the product of RYBS's
: kelapei chutz  / kelapei fenim dichotomy.<<

: TK:  Where do you see that NCSY is "the product of RYBS's
: kelapei  chutz / kelapei fenim dichotomy"?!  Does NCSY have joint activities
: with  non-O youth groups?!

The Israel Day Parade. When I was a kid -- they helped us get to SSSJ
rallies. And of course the OU and the SCA.

: TK:  It is obvious that in today's terms austritt has a different,  maybe
: less radical, application...

Then it's not Austritt.

: RMB:  >>Now, on to the  third question... Can the American-style chareidi be
: said to be living TiDE  whether he acknowledges it or not?....

: It is relevant because RnTK said  she believes that most of the Torah
: world today is TiDE, they just don't know  it. If they do, it's not TiDE
: as RSRH formulated the idea.<<

: TK:  It is DEFINITELY not TIDE as Hirsch envisioned it!

How can we discuss whether RSRH crafted TiDE in a manner that includes
Austritt if you aren't speaking of RSRH's TiDE or RSRH's Austritt?

Of course I could come up with some variant of each which wouldn't work
together, and another pair which couldn't work in isolation. Thus, I
could force either answer just by playing by what TiDE and Austritt mean.

That said, I like RGS's position, and am inclined to conclude not that
TiDE includes Austritt, but that both are parts of one larger picture.
One you can not split and still claim to be following RSRH on either.