[Avodah] Mixed Singing

Harry Weiss hjweiss at panix.com
Thu Jul 10 09:49:34 PDT 2008

> From: Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org>
>
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 01:21:00PM +0300, Mike Miller wrote:
> : http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3565972,00.html
> : Assuming we ignore the Halachic (in?)appropriateness of a mixed group
> : in the first place, is there any halachic heter for a mixed singing
> : performance?
>
> The Seridei Eish (vol II #8) permitted just this very thing, a Bnei
> Akiva choir.
>
> 1- Terei kolei lo mishtama'ei -- as long as none of the girls are
> soloists, one isn't listening to the qol of an ishah, but the qol of the
> choir.

That does not seem to be the situation here.  It is more of a woman
singing alone to a mixed audience.  The ynet article seems to indicate
that it is was the women first and then the men that would perform.

There of course is the issue of zimort etc. that you also raised, but
would that only apply in a setting that zmirot are normally sang such as a
Shabbat Table vs. as part of a perfromance.  The ariticle also does not
say what the songs were.

Harry J. Weiss
hjweiss at panix.com