[Avodah] TIDE and Austritt

Richard Wolpoe rabbirichwolpoe at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 22:11:22 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:57 PM, Samuel Svarc <ssvarc at yeshivanet.com> wrote:

> > From: Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org>
> >

> > How does this argument exclude R (or, as RRW pointed out, even
> > non-Austritt O), but not Schiller?
>
> Because reading Schiller doesn't dispute the supremacy of Torah, while the
> other two do.
>

> KT,
> MSS

Dislaimer, I am in NO way questioning RSRH's decision inf 19th Cnetruy
Frankfort nor do I think the Wurzburger RAv should have medllled in a local
affair. I am merely adressing our society here and now:
I still don't get it.

   1. if one can filter society in order to use TIDE on Genral Culture why
   can't this same filter helpe with non-Observant communties with in Judaism?
   Rabbi Mei'ri di it!  Who says that this is diffcicult?  IF it is OK to
   confront Yaphet why not some imperfcect Sheimim?  And didn't NCSY evolve out
   of looking at USY for alterantive ideas of what to do?
   2. Austritt at KAJ implies that no offical of the kehillah may dine at an
   OU Glatt hotel or restaurant.
   3. Working with Non-O's does not necesarrily convery any legitimacy. {see
   below]  The Red Sox come to Yankee Stadium, does any Yankee Fan have
   anyDesire to Ausrtitt   the hated enemy by not letting him to play in  the
   very Holy of Holies that is Yankee STadium!  And to do so  w/o any fear that
   one will confuse the visting grays with the hometown pinstripes.  I don't
   see how joining the Bosox on the field confers legitimacy to them.  True
   when the lines were not drawn things wer differnt. This is no longer the
   case anyomre.
   4. Austritt has brought out such convoluted siutations such  that two
   noted Roshei Yeshiva who were "buddies" in Poland [either roommates of
   havrusas I forget which] - and then lived lived about 0.5 a miles away from
   each other in the USA - but would not even talk to each other merely because
   of Asutritt. Is Austritt a frontal asault on eilu v'eilu?  Beth Hillell and
   Beth Shammai got along much better even over the issue of Mamzeirus mamash.
   5. In the post Holocaust world it is realyl troubling to see that we can
   jsut forget about how precarious a situation we have as a people?
   6. Didn't the deaths Talmidei R. Akiva teach us a bit about the danger of
   lack of mutual respect? {at least between AAsustritt O's and non-Asutritt
   O's]
   7. No Ta''anis Tzibbur can esit without a Rasha. It seems taht trhowing
   Resha'im out is a new idae. At the Seder we remonstrate wtih them, but we
   don't evict them. Aderabbah, the fact that the rash ais at the seder says
   sometihng about "aggadic hashkafa" as Micha would say.  Is having the Rasha
   at the Seder legitimziing his life-style? we let him join in and if he
   geahves we don't even start up with him, only when he brings up leitzanus we
   push back.

--
Kol Tuv / Best Regards,
RabbiRichWolpoe at Gmail.com