[Avodah] Taxes

Efraim Yawitz efraim.yawitz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 04:42:18 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:23 PM,  David Riceman wrote:
> Yitzhak Grossman wrote:
>> <citing RMB>
>>> DDD applies to the law as practiced, not as codified. And while there
>>>

>> Source?  I've seen this claim, but I know of no authoritative source
>> for it.
>>

> It's not exactly what you want, but see the citation of the Rashbam in
> Tshuvot Tashbetz 1:158, and see the opinion of the Ramban cited in Magid
> Mishnah H. Gezeilah V'aveidah 5:13-14.

I'm pretty sure the Urim v'Tummim says this somewhere, citing the
reason that otherwise all Dayyanim would have to be lawyers.

In any case, how do we distinguish between this concept and the
attitude that you can do "whatever you can get away with"?

(I wonder if I now have to go to the Yabetz's kever to ask mechila for
quoting the Urim v'Tummim.)

Ephraim (Yabetz)